Upozornění pro studenty žádající o ubytování na VŠ kolejích v ak. r. 2020-21
Kaunic‘s Hall of Residence of the University of Veterinary Sciences Brno
The Kaunic‘s Hall of Residence building was built in 1922 and 1923 years according to the project of the professor of the Czech Technical University in Brno, Karel H. Kepka, from the financial resources provided as a gift by the earl Václav Robert from Kaunic, J.D. In his honour, the building was named Kaunic's Hall of Residence. The Academic painter Mr. Ladislav Novák is the author of sgraffits at the top of the Kaunic’s Hall of Residence’ building. The opening ceremony of the Kaunic’s Hall of Residence took place on May 24th 1925, as part of the 25th anniversary of the establishment of the Czech Technical University in Brno.
The Kaunic’s Hall of Residence served as home for approximately 500 university students with an active social, sports and cultural life until November 17th, 1939, when it was converted into police prison of Brno’s Gestapo governing office. At the time of the Nazi occupation of Czechoslovakia between 1939 and 1945, the Kaunic’s Hall of Residence’ courtyard has served as an execution point, where more than 1,350 people were killed.
The Memorial Hall was built on Kaunic's Hall of Residence’ premises due to its turbulent history and it was declared the National Historic Lendmark in 1987 as well. The University of Veterinary and Pharmaceutical Sciences Brno has become the owner of the Kaunic’s dormitory in 1999. Former owner was University of Technology Brno till that time.
University of Veterinary and Pharmaceutical Sciences Brno has got the new name the University of Veterinary Sciences Brno as of April 1, 2021 due to the transfer of the Faculty of Pharmacy to Masaryk University.