The University of Veterinary Sciences Brno was founded on December 12, 1918 by Act no. 76/1918 Coll. upon the creation of the Czechoslovak State Veterinary University in Brno. It was the first university to be formed after the creation of the Republic of Czechoslovakia. It was founded within the premises of what had once been cavalry barracks and a provincial training school. The university's founder and first rector was Prof. MUDr. et MVDr. h.c. Eduard Babák. Classes began on November 17, 1919. From its inception, the university developed as a single-faculty university aimed at veterinary medicine (veterinary sciences).
In 1975 two colleges were created: the College of General Veterinary Medicine (later renamed College of Veterinary Medicine) and the College of Veterinary Medicine - Food Hygiene (later renamed Veterinary Hygiene and Ecology).
In 1990, two faculties were created - the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, focused on veterinary medicine, and the Faculty of Veterinary Hygiene and Ecology, aimed at veterinary hygiene. In 1991, a third faculty was added - the Faculty of Pharmacy, geared towards human and veterinary pharmaceutical sciences.
Since 1994, the university has been officially called the University of Veterinary and Pharmaceutical Sciences Brno.
The Pharmaceutical Faculty has decided to become part of the Masaryk University. Since April 1, 2021 this university official name is University of Veterinary Sciences Brno. More and more popular becomes the shortened name of this school “VETUNI“.